Ayahuasca Health Precautions
Please note, there are certain health issues you need to be aware of before you consider drinking Ayahuasca.
We believe that drinking Ayahuasca is safe for the vast majority of people. To our knowledge there has been no recorded evidence of physical orÂ psychological damage caused by ingesting ayahuasca in a responsibly held retreat environment.Â In the words of writer Terrence McKenna, “the only thing you’re likely to die of is astonishment.”
However, as a precaution, you should not drink ayahuasca if the following applies to you:
- You are taking antidepressants/SSRIs drugs like Prozac, Seroxat, Zoloft, Effexor, Paxil, Welbutrin (bupropion), or other similar drugs that are MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors). If you wish to take ayahuasca you must have stopped taking MAOIs and SSRIs at least 5-7 weeks before coming to the retreat.
- You have a chronic heart condition or severe blood pressure.
- You have a history of mental illness, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and/or suicidal tendencies.
- You are currently on â€“ or have recently finished an antibiotic treatment.
- You suffer from diabetes.
If you do have a health condition, and are unsure if drinking ayahuasca will be safe, then you should consult with your personal physician.
If you’re going to come to Peru then we highly recommend you get health insurance. This is not for the Ayahuasca, but simply because you are abroad and if an accident happens or you get an illness then treatment can sometimes be costly. The hospitals here will usually not treat you unless you either have health insurance, or you can pay money up front.
Please bring anti-histamine creams (like Benedryl or oral form) in case you have allergic reactions to insect bites.